Remember, I don't use commercial patterns, so I have to figure everything out myself.
I made a mistake when cutting out the pattern pieces.
After much wailing and thought, I found a solution. It involved recutting one back panel so that it became a front panel, a bit of frustrating matching along the front seam line, and a front hem that is slightly shorter than I would like and definitely shorter than the back (but not enough to be fashionable). I also had to give up my desire for the chevrons to point in the same direction on the front and the back. Eh, it was a learning experience and the final result is acceptable.
I thought sleeves would add too much motion with the stripes going is so many different directions, but the armholes gaped without a sleeve. Either this is a problem with how I drafted the armholes, it is normal for armholes that need sleeves to be longer than sleeveless armholes, or something else. One day I will learn the answer.
I tried various methods of darting and gathering, but nothing looked right so I drafted a cap sleeve. Having worn store-bought clothes with cap sleeves that cut straight across and those that angle up, I know I prefer the angled kind. It was one big experiment, but I figured that as long as the sleeve head was the correct shape, the shape of the hem of the sleeve was less important. Trying this shirt on, the sleeve worked out the way I wanted it to.
To finished the edges, I had two-inch double-fold bias tape. I cut the bias tape in half and used that to bind the neckline, sleeve hems, and shirt hem.
This shirt fits my criteria that most of what I make needs to be suitable for me to wear to work and will look good with casual jeans.