- Fitting Book
- Tracing Paper
- Bias Tape Maker
I had to emergency order some things from Amazon and in order to qualify for free shipping, added these items from my sewing wish list.
I've fussed with my pattern some more and used more of my sheets and came up with a better button-up. The primary change is lowering the arm hole by one-half of an inch.
I didn't want to risk button holes after my last attempt failed so miserably, so I sewed on snaps and put buttons on the outside for looks. Oh, and I forgot to add overlap for the front closure, so there is only one-quarter inch overlap. That is easy to fix. Not sure what I'll do about button-holes on a "real" shirt. No way am I stitching all those by hand!
I also need to stop being lazy and learn to make some kind of collar and cuffs. Maybe. I like not having a collar so that I can wear scarves with a blazer and not have too much going on with the neckline. Then again, sometimes I want a traditional button-up shirt. So many desires, so little time...
While on vacation, my grandmother gave me yards of this green gingham fabric. When I put a match to a test piece, it curled up and melted like plastic. The pattern is not to my taste and even after washing, the fabric is rough. Still, fabric is too dear to pass up free material.
I had an old bag I made that didn't work out quite the way I envisioned. I took the fabric from that and some of the gingham fabric, and made this new tote, using a library tote bag as a guide for sizing.
This is the first time I tried to bind the seams. It wasn't as difficult as I anticipated, but the gingham cannot be pressed to hold a crease (maybe it can, but I didn't want to melt it with too high heat), so things aren't as neat as I would like. Still, better a useful bag than fabric sitting in the bin!
There is a layer of thin white felt between the outside layers, so as long as the stitching holds up, and each seam is sewn at least three times, this bag can hold a bit of weight. The bag is reversible and has two pockets on one side of the gingham and one pocket on the other side.
I took a pattern I drafted, made some adjustments based on new knowledge, and cut this this t-shirt out of an XL shirt. I almost left it plain, partly because I am drawn to plain t-shirts and partly because I didn't want to "waste" lace on fabric that is already starting to wear thin. Then I decided the stretch lace wasn't doing me any good sitting on the shelve, waiting for nice fabric that may never come, so I added a bit and am quite pleased with the result.
I used the hems from the original shirt for the sleeve and body hems. I usually cut my t-shirts a few inches longer, but the original shirt disallowed that option. The sleeves came out the perfect length for a cool-weather t-shirt. I still have trouble getting the neckline finish to lie flat, but all in all, I'm happy with my new creation.
I didn't do as much sewing on my vacation as I anticipated. Mostly, I hemmed pants, but I did get a few fun things accomplished.
For the chair, I unscrewed seat, cut out the back of the velvet shirt, wrapped the shirt tightly, duct-taped (lacking a staple gun) the fabric in place, and attached the seat again. I like the "upholstery" better with the change.
Hi! I live in Virginia. My mom taught me to sew. I think I started at 4 or 5 by sewing buttons onto a handkerchief, but don't trust my memory. That was a long time ago. As a teenager, I was more interested in completing projects than learning good sewing techniques. Now, I am teaching myself some things I missed. My sewing interests are in learning to make alterations to and draft patterns to fit my petite 4'11" tall, 32" chest, 45" hip body.