Fabric: < 1 yard @ $3.95/yd.
Ribbon: From stash
Thread: From stash
I used the same pattern and fabric as I used for the glitter tee, but with a few modifications.
I cut the back neckline with a five-inch drop, wanting it to end just above the bra-strap line. I didn't have enough fabric to include sleeves, so I cut bias strips to finish the armholes. I pieced the neckband from several smaller pieces.
I sewed the shoulder seams with green ribbon to prevent the foretold stretching, then set to work on the neckline.
Originally, I wanted the back neckline to have cut-outs that made it look like lattice. I soon realized I don't have the skills to pull this off and not make it look like a kindergarten project. So, I cut out a deep scoop neckline.
Then I got the (not) brilliant idea to put green ribbon into the neckline and fold the neckband over like a facing so only the ribbon showed, standing up from the neckline. I carefully marked the seam line and pinned the ribbon centered on the line. I stitched the ribbon down. I sewed on the facing. The ribbon showed unevenly. I unpicked all that stitching and tried again. The ribbon showed slightly less unevenly. I left good enough alone.
The front and back neckline gaped. I wondered if I could sew a little piece of elastic just where the gaping was to take in the extra material. For whatever reason, I instead decided to thread elastic through the neckline facing. I unpicked a small section of the seam to create the threading hole. After the elastic was in, I sewed the hole closed again. I made the elastic only slightly shorter than the neckline circumference. This perfectly fixed the gaping. It also raised the neckline more than I wanted. Oh, well, at this skill level, can't have everything.
Then I set to work on the straps for the back neckline. I left the green ribbon loose because I wanted the straps to stretch if they needed to. First I pinned the green ribbon down the center of the black strap. Then I pinned the strap to the back neckline. Being very careful not to catch the elastic, I stitched across the strap, as close as possible to the original neckline seam. I repeated for the other strap, arranging it as it pleased me. The neckline inside doesn't look tidy with the raw strap edges, but I don't know how to fix that.
After the straps were in, I bound the arm hole edges, sewed the side seams, and hemmed the shirt. Done!
I did have to go back and hand tack the ribbon to the straps near the seam line. When I tried on the shirt, one of the ribbons pulled out of the seam.
Even if this shirt isn't exactly what I envisioned, I like it.
The back neckline looks good in the front, too. Because of the way the front and back are drafted, this shirt can be worn with either side as the front.
Now I want a shirt like this.