The fabric is of the sort that melts when put to a match, but it is a little bit stretchy. It might not be the best choice for an adult's tote bag, but for a child's, when I suspect it won't carry much weight, I thought it would be fine.
I made the bag so the final measurements are twelve-inches square. I wanted a size large enough to carry a book, but small enough to be proportionate to a child. In other words, twelve-inches flitted into my brain and lodged there with no real reason.
This is the first time I've successfully pattern-matched. Look at the middle photo. The lines are even! The same is true of the two side seams. I'm impressed with myself.
For the handles, I cut two two-inch lengths, folded them in half, and stitched on the right side. The quarter-inch seam allowance shows, but looks alright in this fabric and was simpler than trying to stitch the handles inside-out and turn them.
The bag looked plain, so I added an ornament to one side and a tie because everything should have some kind of closure. I accidentally got the tie off-center, but I don't think it matters. Call it a design feature to balance the ornament. The ornament is scraps sewed into a double-layer bow and a piece of a broken earring. All in all, I'm pleased with this simple project.