So I took a deep breath, looked up directions once again, and plunged ahead. One of the biggest drawbacks to making a binding is that I don't have a rotary cutter and could never get the bias strip cut evenly. Then, a few weeks ago, I was browsing sewing podcasts and one person suggested using masking tape to mark the bias strips. Best. Idea. Ever. I wish I could remember who it was and link to it because it turned a tedious, drawn-out process into a quick, accurate, painless event.
With the cutting no longer a dreaded torture season, I steeled myself for the measuring process. Math should work perfectly, but somehow, it doesn't always. Or more accurately, I use the wrong math and can't figure out what I should be doing. Anyway, this time, my neckline binding was a little too long. That's a good situation because it's easy to fix.
After careful pin fitting, I sewed in the binding. I was determined the fabric would not stretch, so in addition to using the walking foot and the ball-point needle, I used paper under the entire seam. Worked perfectly. And because I can never make things easy on myself, I decided to try using a straight stitch because the neckline doesn't have to stretch. Beautiful.
The neckline lies flat and gives that smidge extra coverage to make the tank easier to wear without worrying about showing more than I intended. It looks more finished and less home-made. I was so happy with the result, I finished the armholes, too. I probably should have turned under the band on the armholes, but at any rate, I'm so inspired, I'm going to retro-fit my other tanks, too, assuming I have enough fabric left to make the bands.