Although I am wary of appliqués, I decided to try the method with this shirt. Mainly, I decided this because I had a favorite butterfly t-shirt that was starting to acquire holes and otherwise show signs of wearing out.
I also decided to throw caution to the winds and cut out a neckline of my choosing and deal with unraveling should it occur (it didn't). I cut out the placket and the neckline binding. The resulting shape showed potential. Remembering my first experience with a floppy neckline, I sewed ribbon to the inside of this new neckline.
Then I started work on the appliqués. I had two large glittery butterflies. I put one on the front of the shirt and wished I could stop there. I liked the look and didn't want to add anything else, but the discolorations prevented that. I put the other glittery butterfly on the back because I prefer designs that incorporate the entire garment, not just the front. The other butterflies and flowers were sewn on to cover discolorations with a few extras to tie things together. The shirt isn't the way I would have designed it if I had unlimited choice, but for what I had to work with, I think it looks good.
The best part of this refashion is that, except for the tell-tale fabric, the shirt cannot be confused for an ex-polo shirt.