Anyway, I had an internal conflict of what to do during the time off. Saturday was easy - do all the weekly errands and cleaning and cooking for the week that I always do over the weekend. Sunday I played in the worship band, which means an early morning and too long between breakfast and lunch, so I never plan anything for the afternoon. Sometimes I don't even have the energy to read. This week, I was able to stop at a state park for a picnic lunch after church and then stroll around the lake. Then I came home and watched the final episode of season 17 of Midsomer Murders. After that, I felt energized enough to sew. I drafted a knit long sleeve with no ease and cut out the final two red shirts.
Because I was running low on fabric, they ended up being cut from the same pattern - one with a yoke. I had other ideas of how I wanted to insert lace into the third shirt, but since I didn't have enough fabric, I had to get more creative. Since I won't be wearing the two side by side, I don't think anyone will notice. Besides which, the lace makes them very different.
For Monday, half of me wanted to go hiking, part of me wanted to meet up with friends, and part of me wanted to stay in all day and work on the sewing list. My work shirts are getting worn out and the fabric for new ones is washed and dried.
The sewing part won today. Husband had classes today with an open lab this evening, so I couldn't factor him into my plans. I feel a little guilty that I've chosen sewing over meeting with friends, but it's been ages since I've had a full day to stay at home with no responsibility. To me, that's the best kind of vacation.
I am not a fast sewer. It took me five and a half hours to sew in sleeves, trim the lace from between the seam allowance, sew bands for the sleeve hems, sew the side seams, and hem one shirt plus decide what lace accent to use for the second shirt and fully construct it. I also ripped out and made a new neckline binding for the first shirt once everything was finished and I had an extra bias-cut piece of the correct length. The first neckband was too tight, but I didn't think I had enough fabric to make another one. Glad it worked out that I did.
This is the one I started last night and finished this morning. Nothing spectacular, very safe in design, but also quite usable and the simplicity suits me. The sleeves worked out better than I expected. Still a little twisted and a little too long - my nemesis for drafting and sewing sleeves, but overall I'm very pleased with how those turned out. The lace is also on the back yoke and the plants have been watered.
As an experiment, I thought to make an asymmetrical poncho, but attach it at the shirt's neckline and armholes. That way, the sleeves/arms would easily fit into jacket sleeves. I wanted lots of ease in the "poncho" body, but didn't have enough lace. I also didn't have enough lace to make an asymmetrical hem that was still at least as long as the shirt body.
As I look at the photos, I wonder if I would like these better if the short sleeved one had the lace yoke and the long sleeved one have the loose overlay? Guess I'll never know, as I'm disinclined to alter these or to make another two for comparison.
Now that I have three new shirts that I feel will work well with the rest of my clothes and my lifestyle, I got rid of two that weren't quite right. I put them into the "too good to throw away, but not good enough for the thrift store" box. They will either go to an acquaintance who finds a use for almost anything or to Goodwill that tells me they recycle fabric.
I try to only keep clothes that either 1) serve a specific purpose or 2) look and feel good when I wear them. That way, even my smear-myself-with-grease (AKA help husband with vehicle repairs) clothes and even-getting-up-is-too-much-effort (AKA I feel ill) clothes still look nice. If I don't own ratty clothes, then I can't run to the grocery store or give up and wear ratty clothes.