Anyway, the week before, I took a look at clothes I'm not wearing and clothes I wear often. The uniform polo shirts that I've been trying to make wearable for the past two years were firmly in the "not wearing" pile. I really think it is the fabric that I can't stand, but since I can't do anything about that, I looked for ideas in my "wear often" pile. In the summer, I wear sleeveless things outside of work.
So I took my least favorite refashioned polo, blogged here (curious how my original favorite is now the one I most dislike), and turned it into a sleeveless shirt. I cut off the sleeves, leaving the seam allowance on the shirt. Then I cut off the sleeve hems and used these to finish the armhole edges. It was a little tricky to stretch the hem to fit the armhole opening. I had to pin it a few times. In the end, I stretched it the most in the back, so any gathers would be there.
Another problem with the original refashion was the neckline. It pulled to one side and showed too much. So I stitched it up the center a short ways. This created a protuberance. Took keep it from sticking out, I had to do that weird fold thing you see at the bottom of the neckline.
The next day I wore the shirt and dripped grease on it. Yay! This shirt isn't suitable for donation, so I have to get it worn out so that I don't feel guilty turning it into rags or throwing it away.
The sleeve sewing process took less than an hour. If I were to do it again, I would probably sew the hem to the armhole in such a way that I could flip it up and sew it to the top of the armhole, allowing the opening be in a more natural position and still having the hem visible. I think if I flip it under, it has too much bulk without a clear visual reason why, which is why I left it out this time.