I needed a new journal, but was unable to afford my favorite style, Paperblanks. I like that they are acid free and I like many of their cover designs. Underemployment, though, requires one to make do. The only reason I could afford a new journal instead of cobbling one together was that my niece gave me a gift card last Christmas.
So I got this journal in a color I like, but it was rather plain for my tastes. I thought about how I slide this into a backpack and wanted to avoid any bulky embellishments. I looked at my stash of odds and ends and decided ribbon was the way to go. I had some fabric glue and since this journal isn't acid free, it didn't matter what kind of glue I used.
I played around with different color combinations and ways of laying out the ribbon, then I glued them down, making sure to overlap at least 1/2-inch on the inside cover. The glue does show through the ribbon on the front cover, but I don't know how to get around that.
So the front is looking better, but the inside cover looks like the backside of a project. I wanted something tidier. I found some scrap booking paper in my stash and used that to cover the inside front and back covers. I used fabric glue for this, too, because no other kind was available. So far, it seems to work.
Now my journal, although not as attractive as the lovely Paperblanks, at least has a little personality.