Fabric (Sheets): Stash
For these wearable shorts, I cut 2.5 inches off of the sides of the prototype and sewed the side seams with a 0.5 inch seam allowance. Now the shorts fit with just enough room to clear my hips. I left the crotch area alone. The shorts aren't as baggy now, but still leave enough room to move freely. I also added two patch pockets to the front.
The pockets are large enough to carry a cell phone in one and a small wallet in another. Yes, when I am at least semi-private, I pull up my dress to get to my phone. I'm wearing shorts, so as long as I'm not standing around people, I don't think it matters. I think of it as wearing a tunic and pulling that up to get to one's pants' pockets.
When I work on the pattern next, I will only take away 2 inches to leave a little extra room. I want to compare the two fits. I also still need to work on better fitting the crotch, especially in the back. You can't tell because I have trouble taking a picture of my back, but there is at least an inch of extra fabric right at the seat curve and the thigh pulls. I have to figure out how to leave enough room for movement, but still have a fitted seat while adding extra room to the thigh. After I get all the fitting issues worked out, I also want to draft in slash pockets. Can't have bottoms without pockets. For now, patch pockets will do because they take less fabric and can be added at the last minute if all the other components work.
I have worn these shorts under skirts and they are comfortable. For less bulk, I should put in elastic instead of a drawstring, but I don't have the correct size. After all the work I've put in, I'm pleased to finally have a wearable garment, especially one that I have already worn multiple times.